Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Shiny!






Last Thursday was the public enveiling of our new fleet of Diamond trainers. Guests from the RNZAF, Airways, the media and University big-wigs were in attendance. The weather for the big day turned out to be excellent, a light easterly and SKC.

We all assembled in the hangar for the addresses from the school's GM and the Vice-Chancellor of the University. The event was well catered, the meatballs were outstanding! Trying to avoid the media was the call as I was somewhat inconspicuos in my uniform. Eventually I was cornered by a reporter/DJ from the local ZM station. Typical stupid questions followed but I managed to bumble my way through it.

Did I mention how good the meatballs were?

The various media were taken for flights in 3 of the DA40's in the afternoon. Here are a couple of links to their stories.

TVNZ

NZ Herald

I'm due to convert to the DA40's in the second week of August. It will be a full-on week. The aircraft itself will not be difficult to fly, it's the G1000 avionics that make the biggest difference. After a VFR type rating we'll be straight into a TEA (Technically Enhanced Aircraft) Instrument Rating. Then I can say goodbye to the ADF! This IR is VOR, GPS and ILS only. Fantastic!

No comments: