Sunday, April 5, 2009

Damn the crosswind!

It was shaping up to be a good day to get the new course, the 52's, all up to date and done with the solo circuits. I arrived at work for an 0800 start (which means 0730 for me). The wind sock was not moving. "Excellent" I thought, "a good day for it!". After a bowl of porridge and a plunger-cup of Ebony Milano blend coffee I was ready to go. Two students to sign out and one to do 3 circuits with and then to be let loose solo.

A check of the Metconnect showed the current wind was 248/02. Perfect! The two solo kiddies went before us. Nice. We lined up on RWY25 and got airborne. But, after the second circuit tower was reporting the wind had increased to 280/08. Hmmm. The chap I was flying with was handling the slight cross wind quiet well so we continued. After another couple of touch-n-go's I got out and left them to themselves.

As soon as I got back into the building the crosswind had picked up to 10 kts. Too much for the kiddies iunfortunately so we packed it in. Bugger!

No comments: